Petition local goverment officials to officially recognize a safety campaign that effects teens. This activity might be a project for an individual student or a government/civics class.
Each year organizations like the National Highway Administration, National Safety Council sponsor national annual safety campaigns such as Teen Driver Safety Week, April: Distracted Driving Month, Click It Or Ticket, Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over and many more.
How To Complete the Activity:
- Most of subjects provide tool kits to help you initiate proclamations or resolutions that recognize safety campaigns with your local city, village or township government or Delaware County Commissioners. Topics can also be traffic or drug and alcohol related campaigns.
- Points will be given for each separate campaign that a school promotes.
- Samples of these documents can be found online and taylored with local Delaware County data.
- Students can create thes documents with local leaders and learn how to issue media releases in addition to social media messaging.
- Students will make the appropriate contacts with in the school and local government to launch a resolution on behalf of the political subdivision in which the high school is located.
- Students will work with government, social studies, media teachers and school district communications staff to create student promotions of national safety concerns that effect teens.
- Please be aware that time constraints will apply based on when officials meet each month and their time requirements for submitting requests.
- Complete the activity as described above.
- Take photos/video of students participating in the activity.
- Click "Submit Points." You may submit for points two times during the school year – once each semester.
- Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY
- Enter the name and email of the submitter
- Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
- Multiple individual classroom presentations or school assemblies will only be approved as one submission
- Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!
Share photos and video to school social media sites
Questions? Contact Jackie Bain, SAFE Delaware County Coalition coordinator at jbain@DelawareHealth.org or 740-203-2083.