Have students paint thumbnails to promote a reminder to NOT TEXT & DRIVE.
THE STORY BEHIND RED THUMB REMINDER
Inspired by my daughter's technique of tying a piece of yarn around her finger to remember something for school,
I decided to paint my thumbnail red so every time I picked up my phone from behind the wheel, all I would see was a big red thumb reminding me to put the phone away.
As silly as it sounds, it totally worked. And now my hope is that it'll work for everyone else. One red thumbnail at a time.
1. Anyone can do this.
2. All you need is a thumb, some nail polish and the desire to be safer behind the wheel. Host it to recognize an event, campaign or the memory of a fellow student lost to a traffic crash.
3. Find some nail polish. Hit up the local mall. Or order some on Amazon. Maybe as your sister. Or your mom.
4. Paint the thumb nail on the hand you use to hold your phone. Or ask somebody to do it for you. It's less messy that way.
5. Host a table or booth at a school event or during lunch periods, study hall or homeroom and paint the thumbs of your peers.
6. Change the color to represent your school. Just paint those thumbs and support the reminder to not text and drive.
7. Be reminded. Stop using your phone while driving. Pass the word along to others. Feel pretty darn good.
8. Wave your thumb in the air like you totally care. Show your followers your red thumb on Instagram with #redthumbreminder and we'll share it with the world. To Get Your Points:
9. Take photos of the event.
To Get Your Points:
1. Click "Submit Your Points" at this website.
2. Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY.
Tell us about the activity you completed:
Describe the activity that was completed including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo.
School: Select your high school
Which Activity did you complete? Select the activity completed.
If you don't know, leave this field blank and we'll do our best to sort it for you!
If this event may fall in to more than one activity you may select only one
If this activity does not fit any activity listed then submit it for “BONUS POINTS”
Your Email & Name: Enter your email and name to identify yourself as the submitter.
What documentation do you have?
Students must be included in ALL documentation.
Upload your school's photo(s), video or other documentation of students involved in the activity.
Please upload photo(s) right-side-up.
Attachments to add a file
Enter a YouTube URL to submit a video
Verify: All individuals pictured have read and agree to the photo release.
Verify: I am over the age of 16 - OR - I am under the age of 16 and I have completed the Parental Consent Form
How would you rate this activity?
How many students were engaged by this activity?
3. Share photos and video to school social media sites
*Note - Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
*Note- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously,
but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!