Have students paint thumbnails to promote a reminder to NOT TEXT & DRIVE
THE STORY BEHIND RED THUMB REMINDER Inspired by my daughter's technique of tying a piece of yarn around her finger to remember something for school, I decided to paint my thumbnail red so every time I picked up my phone from behind the wheel, all I would see was a big red thumb reminding me to put the phone away. As silly as it sounds, it totally worked. And now my hope is that it'll work for everyone else. One red thumbnail at a time.
To Complete the Activity:
- Anyone can do this.
- All you need is a thumb, some nail polish and the desire to be safer behind the wheel. Host it to recognize an event, campaign or the memory of a fellow student lost to a traffic crash.
- Find some nail polish.
- Paint the thumb nail on the hand you use to hold your phone. Or ask somebody to do it for you. It's less messy that way.
- Host a table or booth at a school event or during lunch periods, study hall or homeroom and paint the thumbs of your peers.
- Change the color to represent your school. Just paint those thumbs and support the reminder to not text and drive.
- Be reminded. Stop using your phone while driving. Pass the word along to others. Feel pretty darn good.
- Wave your thumb in the air like you totally care.
- Show your followers your red thumb on Instagram with #redthumbreminder and we'll share it with the world.
- Take photos of the event to submit for points and to post on social media.
To Get Your Points:
- Complete the activity as described above.
- Take photos/video of students participating in the activity.
- Click "Submit Points."
- Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY
- Enter the name and email of the submitter
- Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
- Multiple individual classroom presentations or school assemblies will only be approved as one submission
- Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!
Share photos and video to school social media sites
Questions? Contact Jackie Bain, SAFE Delaware County Coalition coordinator jbain@DelawareHealth.org or 740-203-2083