#TakeDownTobacco Power Wall
With the #TakeDownTobacco Power Wall we are taking the power back by posting huge, eye-catching banner that displays showing our personal reasons to #TakeDownTobacco.
To the tobacco industry, a “power wall” is a large display of tobacco products meant to entice potential buyers. Power walls guarantee tobacco products are seen by every customer – especially youth.
Before the activity:
What you need
- #TakeDownTobacco Power Wall banner
- Sticky notes for participants to write their message
- Whiteboard selfie signs for social media
- Permanent markers and dry erase markers
- Informational cards, instructions and handouts
- #TakeDownTobacco stickers
Location, location, location
- Identify a high-traffic location in your school or community where you will setup your #TakeDownTobacco Power Wall.
Create your banner
- Create a banner and make sure that it says “I #TakeDownTobacco because” in large, clear lettering.
- If you create your own banner, please print out our Day of Action logo and incorporate it onto your banner.
- Decide how you want to personalize your event and make it feel special to your school.
- Incorporate your school’s mascot into your banner design
- Use cutout shapes instead of stickies for participants to write their “because” statement on
- Ask people to bring in photos of people they know who have been affected by tobacco to include on the wall
- Create a shape with the stickies as they get put up on the wall
Spread the word
- Promote your event through posters, school announcements, local radio, newspapers, social media, community calendars and websites, and word of mouth. Contact the media to let them know what you’ll be doing and when/where.
Incorporate your message
- Identify how you can use this activity to support any existing tobacco issues you are trying to tackle in your community or any policies you are trying to change.
- How is your group fighting to take down Big Tobacco?
- You can take photos of the messages on your wall or put them together in a document or other creative way to send to decision makers to advocate for change.
During the Activity:
Setup and prepare
- Put your banner up in your identified location and setup a table or booth to lay out your materials.
- Have event volunteers write out their “I #TakeDownTobacco because…” statement and put it up on the wall before the event begins to show people what to do.
- Make sure people have a place to write their statement.
- Assign someone to take plenty of photos during the event.
- During the event, be sure to engage with participants and share your message with them in a clear, compelling way.
- Event volunteers can say “Today we’re create a Power Wall to tell Big Tobacco why we’re taking them down.
- I take down tobacco because I’m sick of being targeted with flavored e-cigarettes. Will you write down why you take down tobacco and put it up on the wall?”
- If you have a specific school policy you’re supporting, make sure to explain that too!
- During the event, take plenty of pictures and post to Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook using the hashtag #TakeDownTobacco.
- You can take photos of people writing their statement, people putting their statement on the wall, and close-ups of great statements.
- Get at least one great picture of the entire wall at the end of the event to show how many statements you collected!
After the Activity:
Show and tell
- Decide how you will use the statements collected and the “I #TakeDownTobacco because” banner.
- Feel free to save it for more events in the future!
- Create a document with the most powerful statements you collected, or take photos of those statements and send them to decision makers, post them on social media, or display them in a creative way in your school or community.
To complete this activity:
- Complete activity on or near 3/18/20 and record with pictures student participating and final “power wall”
- Post to social media
- Record numbers of participants
To Get Your Points:
- Complete the activity as described above.
- Take photos/video of students participating in the activity.
- Click "Submit Points."
- Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY
- Enter the name and email of the submitter
- Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
- Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!
Share photos and video to school social media sites
Abbey Trimble/ atrimble@DelawareHealth.org / 740-203-2037
Jamica Harper/ email@example.com / 740-203-2033