Parents, teachers, coaches “Start Talking!” to your teens about drugs.
What is Start Talking! all about? Children who talk to adults about drugs are up to 50% less likely to use.
- The Start Talking! program is for parents, teachers, coaches, advisers of school aged youth.
- The program encourages age-appropriate conversations with children, early and often during their lives and provides information to educate parents on this issue and empower them to have these conversations.
- While these conversations can sometimes be challenging or uncomfortable to begin, it is critical to open the door to these discussions early and tackle the tough topics with our kids.
- Updated in the summer of 2021, Start Talking! has been expanded to incorporate more mental health topics and relevant issues Ohio families are facing.
- The evolution of this public health crisis and challenges presented by COVID-19 created the need for new and updated resources that families can access where they are, when they need them.
- The program includes free tips on how to start the conversation, signs and symptoms that your child might need additional support, and how to seek professional assistance when needed.
To Complete this Activity:
- Visit https://starttalking.ohio.gov/about to access resources to "Start Talking!" to your youth about prevention.
- This activity may be public or private depending on the circumstances.
- Take photos that indicate the message being shared if applicable with a screen shot of the resource/logo or student photos if appropriate.
- Submissions may be made anonymously, but please indicate your role with student(s).
To Get Your Points:
- Complete the activity as described above.
- Take photos/video of students participating in the activity. (Optional- see above "To Complete the Activity;" for details)
- Click "Submit Points."
- Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo). (Optional- see above "To Complete the Activity;" for details)
- Verify that you are over the age of 16 - OR - I am under the age of 16 and I have completed the Parental Consent Form
- Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY
- Enter the name and email of the submitter (0ptional, but please indicate your role with student(s)).
- Include the number of students engaged by this activity
- Multiple individual classroom presentations or school assemblies may be approved as multiple submissions.
- Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!
Share photos and video to school social media sites
Questions? Contact Jackie Bain, SAFE Delaware County Coalition coordinator jbain@DelawareHealth.org or 740-203-2083