Improve student seat belt usage rates at your school.
- The 2019 seat belt usage rate for all ages in Delaware County is 94%.
- This past fall 2019 the SAFE Delaware County Coalition conducted observational surveys of high school seat belt usage.
- Delaware County teen drivers had seat belt usage rate of 88.8% and teens in the front passenger rates were even lower 75%.
- It is important to remember that 11 of the 25 teens who have died in traffic crashes in Delaware County since 2008 were passengers.
- The results of your individual school have been shared with your school administration.
Another seat belt usage survey at each high school this spring by the SAFE Delaware County Coalition.
The spring results will be compare those from first semester.
To complete the activity:
- Run a seat belt campaign at your school. PDF resources are listed below
- If your school increases student seat belt usage rates, additional submission points will be awarded.
- Additional points will be given to the school with:
- highest overall seat belt usage rate
- most improved seat belt usage rate
- best seat belt use campaign
- Complete the activity as described above.
- Take photos/video of students participating in the activity.
- Click "Submit Points."
- Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY
- Enter the name and email of the submitter
- Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
- Multiple individual classroom presentations or school assemblies will only be approved as one submission
- Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!
Share photos and video to school social media sites
Jackie Bain, SAFE Delaware County Coalition coordinator